Gwinnett Sleep offers comprehensive care for sleep disorders and related conditions by leveraging state-of-the-art technology and physicians and staff that pay attention to patient needs. Both of our Georgia locations are ready to help Atlanta area residents get the rest they deserve and desire. Our sleep specialists are dedicated to excellent care and patient wellness.
Importance of Sleep
Good sleep is important for your overall health and wellness. Bad sleep can affect not only your physical health but your emotional health as well. Your body’s circadian rhythm is a cycle that lets you know when to sleep. The amount of sleep you need each night varies depending on several factors, including age.
What is a sleep disorder?
Sleep disorders are conditions that affect your sleep quality, the duration of sleep, and the amount of sleep you get each night. Sleep disorders can contribute to or be a symptom of other medical conditions. Sleep disorders may also affect your ability to function while you’re awake.
How are sleep disorders characterized?
There are four main signs that you may be suffering from a sleep disorder:
- You have trouble falling asleep or staying asleep
- You have difficulty staying awake during the daytime
- Your circadian rhythm is imbalanced and interrupts your sleep schedule
- You experience unusual behaviors that disrupt your sleep
If you are experiencing any of these issues, Gwinnett Sleep can help you on the path to better sleep. Call us today for a consultation!
Causes of Sleep Disorders
Sleep disorders can be caused by several different physical and mental factors. These include physical conditions such as heart disease, pain, or obesity. Mental conditions that cause sleep disorders are depression, anxiety, or PTSD. Other common factors that affect sleep are medications, genetics, and caffeine or alcohol. Sleep disorders can be caused by many different things. At Gwinnett Sleep, we can help you pinpoint the cause of your poor sleep.
General Sleep Disorder Symptoms
Gwinnett Sleep not only diagnoses and treats specific sleep disorders, but patients that in general, have trouble sleeping. If you suffer from any of the following general symptoms, contact Gwinnett Sleep for a consultation:
Difficulty falling asleep
- Wake up at night and cannot go back to sleep
- Wake up earlier in the morning and feel tired
- Early morning headaches
- Sweat excessively
- Wake up suddenly at night gasping for breath
- Feel sleepy during the day
- Trouble concentrating
- Vivid dreams while falling asleep or awakening
- Leg cramps
- Excessive daytime fatigue
Common Sleep Disorders We Treat
Sleep problems affect an estimated 70 million Americans. At Gwinnett Sleep, we diagnose and treat several types of sleep disorders and sleep issues. The most common sleep issues are:
- Sleep Apnea: obstruction to the upper airways
- Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS): painful sensations in the legs, especially at night
- Insomnia: difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep
- Parasomnias: abnormal occurrences during sleep, such as sleepwalking, night terrors, and sleep paralysis
- Narcolepsy: a neurological disorder caused by the brain’s inability to regulate sleep-wake cycles
- Sleep-Wake Disorders: fragmented sleep or frequent awakenings during the night
- Circadian Rythm Disorders: erratic sleep patterns prevent the body from achieving optimal rest and recovery levels
How We Diagnose
Gwinnett Sleep has state-of-the-art diagnostic technology to help determine which sleep disorder you may be suffering from. We offer comprehensive care for sleep disorders and related conditions. Gwinnett Sleep manages the diagnosis and treatment of all sleep disorders. We provide an assortment of diagnostic services including in-office sleep medicine consultations, private room overnight sleep study, an at-home sleep study, CPAP therapy, and sleep disorder education. Gwinnett Sleep factors in pre-existing conditions and potential health risks.